Here at First MB Students, we believe that after God, parents have the primary responsibility for spiritual development of their teenagers. We believe our ministry is to "walk alongside" parents, enabling and equipping them in this God-given role. This site is to inform, equip, and encourage parents on their God-given ministry of raising their teenagers.
Our monthly eNewsletter.
Everything going on this month.
New texting line! If you want to sign up just click the logo above.
Looking to help cover the costs of First MB Student events? Then check out our fundraising options including signing up for Dillon's Community rewards and our monthly bake sales!
What is First MB Students?
We exist to provide the space, resources, and relationships students need to establish a firm foundation in Christ. We have ministries available for junior high, senior high, and college age. Our mission is to have students develop an EVER-EXPANDING faith and impact for Jesus Christ.
Where does most of your ministries take place?
All but senior high small groups meet at First MB Church at 8000 W. 21st Wichita, KS 67205.
- Junior high - in the Junior High Room on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights
- Senior high (AXIS) - in the Activity Center on Sudnay nights (use the back enterence)
- Converge (College & young adult) - in the Junior High Room
What will my student expect at these ministries?
No matter the ministry, we strive to provide a safe and fun place where students will be accepted by the love and grace of Jesus Christ. Students can expect great worship, fun games, challenging messages, and a time to openly ask questions and get real answers.
What about fundraising or scholarships?
Although we try to offer as many free events as possible some things like camp and such have a registration cost. We also have a wide variety of fundraising options as well as scholarships that you can apply for throughout the year. Feel free to learn about our fundraising options by click here.
What expectations does First MB have of my students?
To be honest, by the time your child is 16 or 17, you will need another voice in their lives pointing them to God. The problem is by the time they are that age it's often too late to find one. It's there or it's not. That is why we believe students have to get involved as a junior high or even earlier. That is why we value small groups, but the bottom line is small groups only work if there is regular participation by the student and parents. That is why we believe small group leaders stay with their small groups all four years of senior high. The deeper the trust, the deeper the impact. We promise to do our part and respect a parent's authority and schedule, but we ask that in order to get the most out of what we offer, a family has to make the student ministry a priority.
Can parents attend any of these ministries?
Sundays @11:00 (junior high) are open for any parents to stop by and check things out or even join right in! Our senior high, AXIS, meetings on Sunday nights from 6:30-8pm for games, lesson, and worship and then at 8pm we split up into small groups. Then on Wednesday nights we have Junior High small groups at the church. Our Wednesday night Junior High small groups are more difficult due to the sensitivity and confidentiality of providing a small group where students can feel safe to open up about deep personal and spiritual issues. If you have specific questions, feel free to contact Pastor Kyle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How can I help as a parent?
One of our highest priorities as a ministry is partnering with parents to reach this next generation. As a parent you can help out in many ways including:
- Pray, pray, pray!
- Show your support by bringing or allowing your student to attend our ministries and special events.
- Have all permission slips be filled out on time! Every student needs help getting these things in on time.
- Becoming an adult sponsor for one of our regular ministries or special events (like New Year's Eve).
- Provide treats or snacks when needed.
Click here for more information about volunteer opportunities.
Resources For Parents
Here are some helpful websites not affiliated with First MB Church. You may not agree with everything they say (we don't either), but their purpose is to inform or start a dialogue.
- Who are the Mennonite Brethren? | Video | Who we are (USMB website)
- The Source For Parents | The best resource for parents on the internet
- Crosswalk | Tons of great articles on Christian parenting
- Focus On The Family | Great website all things family
- Plugged In | Focus on the Family’s movie and song review website
- Christian-Parent.com | Parents' resources for Christian families of any age
- Parents for Christ | Website dedicated to training and equipping Christian parents